Utility Assistance (Renters & Homeowners)

The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a federally funded grant program that assists eligible low income households with energy (including utility) needs. LIHEAP is a one-time assistance offered to help defray heating and cooling expenses, as long as funding is available.

Both renters and homeowners may be eligible for this assistance. LIHEAP assistance does not go directly to the client or applicant. Payments are made through the LIHEAP agency to the local utility company or energy supplier. In Tennessee, LIHEAP is administered through a network of 19 local agencies that reach all 95 counties.

The list of network agencies may be found here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/thda.org/Documents/Business-Partners/Grant-Administrators/LIHEAP/LIHEAP-Contacts-liheap-agencies-01292016-Update.pdf

An interactive service provider map that shows the provider and contact information by county may be found here: https://thda.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=d8eaf5603bc14aafa699d08c4d317e8d

Home Repair for Energy Efficiency

The Weatherization Assistance Program assists low-income households to reduce energy/utility costs by improving the home to reduce heat loss. Examples of common weatherization measures that may be provided are weather stripping, caulking, and adding of insulation to attics, walls and floors.  Households that include young children, elderly or disabled members are given priority for service.

The local agencies that administer the program (and the counties served) may be found here: https://thda.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=d8eaf5603bc14aafa699d08c4d317e8d

 An interactive service provider map that shows the provider and contact information by county may be found here: https://thda.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=d8eaf5603bc14aafa699d08c4d317e8d 

Fair Housing & Housing Discrimination 

The following websites provide information on your rights under the Fair Houisng Act:

If you or someone you know feels discriminated against when renting, buying or selling a home due to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or a disability, you may file a complaint and receive help from the following state or federal agencies.

  • HUD investigates complaints of housing discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex/gender, disability, or familial status. At no cost to you, HUD will investigate the complaint and try to help both parties reach agreement. Click here for more information on Fair Housing enforcement and for the HUD Discrimination Complaint form
  • The Tennessee Human Rights Commission (THRC) accepts fair housing, employment, public accommodations and Title VI complaints for people in Tennessee. To access THRC’s discrimination complaint form, please click here.
  • Participants in any of THDA’s programs may choose to submit a complaint regarding discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex/gender, disability, or familial status directly to THDA. For THDA’s complaint process and form, click here. Your complaint may be investigated and answered internally or may be forwarded to the THRC or HUD for investigation and response.

Other Resources


United Way 2-1-1 maintains a searchable list of organizations that provide shelter and services to homeless families or individuals and those impacted by domestic violence.